Hover over the areas below to read more about each section.
Bay 1 Polymer Electronics
Bay 1 is located within the class 10,000 cleanroom area. It houses:
- Polymer electronic glovebox
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) system in inert nitrogen atmosphere
- 2 x Laser doppler vibrometers
Bay 6 Photolithography
Bay 6 is located within the class 100 cleanroom area. It houses:
- Hot embossing system
- Nanoimprint lithography system
- Direct write lithography tool
- 3 x Photolithography tools
- Automated spin coater and wafer developer
Bay 2 PVD & RIE
Bay 2 is located within the class 10,000 cleanroom area. It houses:
- Electron beam evaporator
- Thermal evaporator
- 2 x Deep Reactive Ion Etching (DRIE) systems
- Plasma Enhanced Chemical Vapour Deposition (PECVD) system
- 2 x Microwave enhanced diamond deposition systems
Bay 3 Electroplating
Bay 3 is located within the class 10,000 cleanroom area. It houses:
- Automated dicing saw
- 2 x Electroplating systems
- Atomic Layer Deposition (ALD) system
- Wet chemistry bays
Bay 4 Characterisation
Bay 4 is located within the class 10,000 cleanroom area. It houses:
- Atomic Force Microscope (AFM)
- Dry processing dicing saw
- Tabletop Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM)
- Optical profilometer
- Four-stack horizontal furnace system
- Probe station
- Wire bonders
Bay 5 Wet chemistry
Bay 5 is located within the class 10,000 cleanroom area. It houses:
- Wet chemistry bays
- Furnace system
- Robotic wet benches
The FEG-SEM lab is located within the class 100 cleanroom area. It houses a top-of-the-range Field Emission Gun Scanning Electron Microscope, the FEI NovaNanoSEM-430.
The Electron Beam Lithography (EBL) lab is located within the class 100 cleanroom area and is double walled with a raised floor for protection against vibrations which would inhibit the delicate work undertaken on this world-class Vistec EBPG5000plusES.
ANFF Design House Lab
This computer lab provides access to the range of software available under the ANFF Design House project, which aims to provide software packages that will assist with the design and development of user projects.
The FIB-SEM lab houses the FEI Helios NanoLab 600 Dual Beam Focused Ion Beam Scanning Electron Microscope which is used for a vast range of lithography techniques, while it is also fitted with additional accessories.
This laboratory is reserved for industry clients who have taken up residence at MCN, including Eden BDM, Trajan Scientific and Medical, and IBM.
This laboratory is reserved for the creation of elastomeric PDMS devices and molds. PDMS is ideal in applications involving surfaces which are not flat. Alternatively, PDMS can be used in microfluidic applications, where rapid prototyping and ease of fabrication are important.
The reconfigurable laboratory at MCN is designed for biological and chemical analysis of fabricated devices, nanoparticle characterisation and imaging. It houses:
- High resolution 3D printer
- Scanning ion conductance microscope
- Zeta potential analyser
- Zeta sizer
- UV VIS Spectrophotometer
- UV Ozone Cleaner
The Microscopy laboratory at MCN provides top-of-the-line imaging instrumentation for use on both live and fixed cells. It is equipped with:
- Laser scanning confocal microscope
- Hyperspectral imaging system
- Bio- atomic force microscope
- Laser TIRF system
The Physical Containment laboratory (PC2) at MCN is fully equipped to support research activities involving Risk Group 2 micro-organisms and other rDNA applications exempt from higher classification.
The gowning area is the sole entrance to the cleanroom. All users must gown up in a cleanroom suit, boots, hood, gloves and face mask before they are permitted to enter. This helps to maintain the cleanroom environment, free of foreign contaminates.
User hot desks
Hot desks are available to all MCN users to provide a space for work and meetings outside the cleanrooms and labs.